Saturday, July 17, 2010

Amber’s Bridal Shower & Bachelorette Extravaganza!



About a year ago, Amber asked me to be her Maid of Honor. I’m still not totally sure what my role entails, even though I’ve seen almost every romantic comedy known to man, and my mom bought me a book called “The Bridesmaid's Handbook.” I skimmed the book and it seems like mostly I’m supposed to carry a bunch of safety pins with me at all times, and hold her dress if she needs to pee. Also, there was the little matter of organizing of a bridal shower/bachelorette party. Yikes.



Amber was pretty strict about not wanting to wear anything penis-shaped, drink out of anything penis-shaped, or eat anything penis-shaped. So I was pretty much at a loss for ideas since I think that’s about all my book suggested.

We ended up renting a gorgeous lake house in Hartwell, GA (aka The Middle of Nowhere). It was four days of rum-soaked cherries, presents, floating in the lake, cake-pops, Catch-Phrase, and getting caught up on all things wedding-related. There wasn’t a penis, or penis-shaped item in sight. There were eleven of us, which luckily included Amber’s momma and two of her aunts, who kept us fed all weekend. And thank God for them, because my book mentioned nothing about that.



I am straight-up giddy with excitement about the October wedding, which is in Greenville, SC. I LOVE Greenville. It’s like a whole town was built around the idea of being quaint and adorable. And it is. After doing some Wiki-ing, I also learned that it’s the birthplace Nicholas Sparks (puke), The National Cat Groomers Institute of America, and Jesse Jackson (sidebar: I said ‘excuse me!', kind of sassy-like, as I scooted past Jesse Jackson at President Obama’s 2008 Election Night because he was in my way).

And don't worry, Amber. I've been stocking up on safety pins for months.

1 comment:

  1. lol you are already the best MOH ever, but good to know about the safety pins. i can't wait til october! another four days with you, yay!

    ReplyDelete