Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am US/Central
Man Strikes Officers With Stolen Police SUV
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) ―
A North Side man was arrested over the weekend after striking two police officers with a stolen police sport-utility vehicle as he attempted to flee two earlier crashes and two attempted car jackings.
Anthony McCoy, 41, disobeyed a red light at LaSalle Boulevard and Ontario Street on Sunday, crashed into a vehicle and fled the scene, according to a police News Affairs release. The occupants of the vehicle that was struck were injured.
McCoy then crashed again at Halsted Street and Grand and Milwaukee avenues, again causing injury to the occupants of the vehicle that was struck, according to the release. He fled but the vehicle he was driving became immobile in the 900 block of West Grand Avenue.
He then attempted to enter passing vehicles and eventually gained entry into a 1999 Isuzu with a 4-year-old child inside, according to the release. McCoy attempted to push the driver out the vehicle, but he refused to get out and McCoy eventually entered the back of a 2007 Mercury cab, the release said.
The cab driver exited the car and locked the doors, but McCoy kicked out the rear passenger's side window and escaped, the release said.
A Near North District police officer attempted to arrest McCoy, but he was able to push free and steal a police SUV, according to the release. A Wood District police officer responded and McCoy struck both officers with the police SUV, the release said.
McCoy eventually crashed into a fire hydrant and officers were able to subdue him with the help of a passerby, according to the release.
McCoy, of the 1500 block of West Fullerton Avenue, was charged with thirteen crimes, including four felonies.
Last weekend, I was just minding my business, riding my bike to Goodwill to do a little thrift store shopping, when I got wrapped up in this whole damn shit-show. I thought homeboy was going to run me over with his car and when I tried to ride off to safety, he was there at EVERY TURN I TOOK! At some point he even looked at my bike and got a twinkle in his eye, so I basically just genuflected and set the poor thing down on the ground for him because I really didn't want him to tackle the crap out of me. Luckily, that's when the cops showed up and he took off and so my bike was saved! Score one for the Chicago Police Department! (Pay no mind to the fact that the suspect then escaped them, stole their SUV, and hit them with it...those failures are far outweighed by the fact that they saved my bike).
I came home and chugged several wine spritzers while I reflected on the fact that I'm not great in the face of emergencies and should probably invest in some pepper spray.
And, because I witnessed the whole thing, I had to tell the police about everything I saw. I'm secretly hoping I get called in for the trial because I would be a VERY good witness. I'd cry and everything. Because c'mon! That punk wanted to take my bike!
Friday, August 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OMG!!! When I called and you had just walked in from this mess, I felt so bad for you!!! Now I am soooo relieved you ended up ok!! Holy crap Nik! Who knew what a bad MO FO he was!!
ReplyDeleteBTW---the pepper spray is on it's way!!
Did you finish your shopping spree before self-medicating with the spritzers?
ReplyDelete